Guymon Tradition (#2)



First off...is it Wassil or Wassail?
Don't mind the spelling errors, I've seen it both ways!

3 1/2 c. sugar
2 qts. water
(Boil about 5 minutes and turn off heat.)

Put the next ingredients in a sack cloth, cheese cloth, or even a clean pair of nylons or knee highs! (This used to freak me out...still does...but it works!)

2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. ginger
Soak the the spices (that are held my nylons, cheese clothe, etc.) into the water/sugar syrup for
1 1/2 hours.

Add:

4 qt. apple cider (pre-made)
2 qts. orange juice (pre-made)
juice of 4 lemons (or 1/2 can lemonade concentrate..not mixed with water)

Mom would leave a few slices of lemon and let them float. Heat and serve hot.

Christmas in my house growing up brings happy memories of mom making hot wassil, Grandma Gunnersons Ginger filled cookies, sugar pops, peanut brittle, toffee, caramel popcorn, and sugar cookies. What a happy childhood I had. My kids LOVE this tradition.

This makes A LOT! So be prepared to either half the recipe, serve at a holiday party, or share with your neighbors! Enjoy!

2 Amazing Friends Said...:

Letti said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. I have been looking for a wassail recipe. I am going to try this and yes I am going to use knee highs too.

{Pink Igloo Designs} said...

Oh Good LEtti! I'm glad to hear you'll be trying it...even with the knee highs. And yes it's normal to have a lot of the spices still in the nylons. It will let a slow amount of the spices seep into the wassail. Yum!

Post a Comment

We LOVE comments! Thanks for taking the time to express yourself!